Wednesday 15 October 2014

Haberdashery . Hazel . Homewood . Happiness

I am sure you will agree that one of the best things about working for yourself is that you get to be ridiculously indulgent in all that you love.  Whether it is making, researching, strolling around on pinterest or losing your self in the world of instagram, it is officially 'work'... I don't find it difficult hibernating in these four walls of my home studio and not talking to a soul for the day, I have said it before that the school run can often be my social life for the week.  I 'like' my own company....I love to potter around in my own little world and can lose hours in what seems like minutes.  But, saying that, one of the simple pleasures of working in the way I do is that I have got to meet some pretty inspiring folk, some of which I can honestly say are now good friends of mine and can't imagine them not being in my life - they are found treasures.  I suppose if I worked in an office they would be my work mates, but they are indeed 'mates for life' so to speak.  An occasional phone call, a line thrown on facebook, a shriek of shared delight at a 'mutual appreciation of an image on instagram, a ram packed friend filled car on some journey down the motorway to a fair or exhibition...a giddy trip to the carboot...or a simple board room meeting in a cafe or two....I can't tell you how much it makes my heart smile.

HAZEL.
Gorgeous, funny, gentle, kind Hazel.
I met this precious lady at a fair in Milton Keynes around four years ago.  She had made a special journey from Wales to ideally network and meet like minded souls.  Hazel is the owner, along with her husband John (gorgeous, funny, gentle, kind John - they are indeed a match made in heaven) of Homewood Bound store in Rhewl, North Wales.  We also meet up every year as part of a little collection of business folk called The Derbyshire Darlings - again like minded women escaping for the weekend to indulge in natterings and treasure shopping, swap ideas, catch up on news and generally eat and drink far too much in a converted barn away from it all....by all I mean the internet.  

Over the years Hazel has asked me to supply her with my makings to sell in Homewood Bound.  There has always been one problem.  I am not really a wholesaler.  So I have always danced with the idea but have never really pursued it.  This year, brought the decision to run with it....an experiment for me, a chance (and an excuse) to visit Hazel in North Wales and the idea of running a workshop to support the introduction of The Linen Garden. So, here is a snapshot of my visit....I wish I took photos of the views of the rolling hills...but being over-excited and time were against me...as it was a flying visit.  

A big thank you to the ladies who attended the workshop on the evening...I hope you enjoyed the evening and the 'haberdashery buffet' and escaped and relaxed for an hour or two.......it was a pleasure to spend the evening with you all.







The Linen Garden Workshop
'Making a Floral Love Brooch'
using the Haberdashery Buffet















3 comments:

  1. Hi Vicky, my friend and I had such a lovely time at the workshop and we're looking forward to your next visit to Wales and another 'buffet'! Of course I just had to write a blog post about the workshop and have had some great comments from my crafty blog friends. They were intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah Fiddlestitch16 October 2014 at 08:57

    Morning Vicky! What a really lovely blog. I thoroughly enjoyed your workshop and can't wait for the next one.....hurry up back to Wales with that Buffet!!! I've been adding to my broach - quite addictive & therapeutic at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness - so much pretty in one blog post! I wish I could attend your workshop... looks divine. :)

    ReplyDelete